The need to encourage and equip the next generation of community leaders in Memphis is obvious to those who know our city best. To meet this demand, our young leaders need a place where they can learn proven leadership skills in a mutually challenging environment from top-flight coaches and mentors. Such a place is called NEXUS: A Proven Experience in Leadership.
- A mentor-driven program, whereby the mentors commit to participate in the monthly sessions, to be trained in leadership alongside their protégé and to meet with their protégé once per month informally outside of the monthly sessions, arranged at the convenience of both.
- Protégé recruitment takes place through the NEXUS Network-alumni and current participants.
- Attend the opening retreat which focuses on “Your Leadership Strengths.” The opening retreat is said to be a highlight of the program and gives participants an opportunity to meet and connect.
- Nine monthly interactive teaching sessions led by local key-leaders. Both mentors and protégés are required to attend at least seven of the nine monthly sessions.
- Service Projects which offer participants an opportunity to make a difference and learn more about non-profits in Memphis.
- A reasonable cost, subsidized by corporate sponsors and private donations. The program fee is $500 for mentors and protégés, and includes an opening retreat, curriculum materials and monthly dinner sessions. Scholarships are available through the Kemmons Wilson Foundation Scholarship Fund.
- A proven curriculum, which usually includes several books, timely articles, and assessments. The speakers teach on leadership topics NEXUS thinks every leader must master including: Asking, Building, Communicating, Dreaming, Ethical Decision Making, Focusing, Funding, Growing, Leading Through Change, Mentoring, Motivating and Planning.
NEXUS Class of 2019 Speaker Sessions
August 25, 2018 / OPENING RETREAT / MENTORING / For the Kingdom Camp
September 6, 2018 / James Armfield / Director / NEXUS CONNECT & Larry Jensen / President & CEO / Commercial Advisors, LLC / MEMPHIS
October 4, 2018 / Tom Cleves / Vice President / Global Citizenship / International Paper / FOCUSING
November 1, 2018 / Dr. Marjorie Hass / President / Rhodes College / PLANNING
December 6, 2018 / Shannon Brown / SVP / Chief HR & Diversity Officer / FedEx Express / BUILDING
January 3, 2019 / Rabbi Micah D. Greenstein / Senior Rabbi / Temple Israel / ETHICAL DECISION MAKING
February 2, 2019 / NEXUS IN MOTION / Terri Lee Freeman / President / National Civil Rights Museum / LEADING THROUGH CHANGE
March 7, 2019 / Richard Shadyac / CEO / ALSAC / St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital / FOCUSING
April 4, 2019 / Joanna Crangle / Market President & Publisher / Memphis Business Journal / COMMUNICATING
May 2, 2019 / GRADUATION / Bill Rhodes / President & CEO / AutoZone / MOTIVATING
Web marketing refers to a broad category of advertising that takes many different forms, but generally involves any marketing activity conducted online. Marketers have shifted their efforts online because it tends to be significantly less expensive.
The newest NEXUS program, CONNECT. The purpose of CONNECT is to engage NEXUS alumni and other individuals in the importance of mentoring and connecting outside of the existing NEXUS program. CONNECT is designed to foster mentoring and coaching connections over the various stages of an individual’s professional career, as those relationships could last a lifetime. CONNECT will also support these relationships by providing the necessary training and connectivity to NEXUS mentors and protégés, NEXUS alumni, and the mentoring relationships that develop outside of NEXUS. To learn more about CONNECT contact James Armfield, Director of NEXUS CONNECT at email@example.com or 901-461-6260.
An ongoing goal is to keep members of the NEXUS Network engage within the NEXUS Program and our city. NEXUS Alumni and current participants are key leaders within the community who want to continue to have a pulse of the needs of our city, the Memphis leadership community, and young emerging leaders of the next generation.
NEXUS creates opportunities for current participants and alumni to engage, learn, connect, and network together through many special events throughout the year. Alumni are always invited to the monthly speaker sessions to hear a motivating message from a local key leader around a specific leadership topic.
Among the more than 25 special event opportunities provided to members of the NEXUS Network includes our quarterly Lunch Series focused on a NEXUS Alumni making a difference in our community; Workshops that provide learning opportunities around interests, the annual NEXUS Leadership Luncheon for the community focused on Mentoring with the Memphis Mentoring awards; our annual NEXUS Night Out event held each fall; and NEXUS IN MOTION, an event that provides table discussions led by members of the NEXUS Network on timely topics that affect our city and leaders, combined with a keynote speaker.
Opportunities are always evolving for the NEXUS Network to engage depending on the need and climate of our community.